- August-Alabuga plant received a license to operate hazardous facilities 03.08.2020
- 100 leaders: all-Russian selection of future managers of SEZ "Alabuga" 03.08.2020
- Tatarstan hospitals to receive 54 Ford Transit ambulances 30.07.2020
- Employees of the SEZ "Alabuga" studied the methods of effective management and communication 29.07.2020
- SEZ "Alabuga" will build facilities for the Haier plant in Russia 27.07.2020
- STEM-center - a quick start for future world-class engineers! 22.07.2020
- SEZ "Alabuga" has increased the reliability of water supply to the Yelabuga town 21.07.2020
- Joint work of Alabuga and EMR is the point of development of the region 21.07.2020
- Water treatment plant: 2 reservoirs ready for operation 16.07.2020
- Mikhail Mishustin held a meeting with members of the Government of the Russian Federation in the SEZ “Alabuga” 10.07.2020
- Vice-president of the Russian CCI visited the SEZ "Alabuga" 08.07.2020
- Ford Sollers will supply 200 buses to Tatarstan schools 25.06.2020
- Alabuga HR program approved by Russian Deputy Minister of Science and Higher Education 25.06.2020
- Prospects for the development of Rosatom in Alabuga were discussed at a meeting with the President of the Republic of Tatarstan 24.06.2020
- Material for Ansat helicopters is produced in the SEZ Alabuga 18.06.2020
- Water treatment plant: new reservoir tested 08.06.2020
- Reconstruction of district wastewater treatment plants: completion of stage 1 04.06.2020
- Huhtamaki helps fight the Coronavirus pandemic 20.05.2020
- Synergy 2: industrial park ready for operation 07.05.2020
- Polymatiz launched the production of 2.4 million medical masks 13.04.2020
- Accounts Chamber of the Russian Federation: Alabuga has reached the goal by 100% 09.04.2020
- Rustam Minnikhanov: Alabuga is the best special zone in Russia 25.03.2020
- Ford Sollers announces localization increase 19.03.2020
- The Supervisory Board of the SEZ "Alabuga" approved new projects 27.12.2019
- Ambitious projects and international exchange of experience: Alabuga signed a memorandum with the Foshan City Department of Commerce 17.12.2019
- Mustafa Varank: Alabuga creates good conditions for Turkish companies 16.12.2019
- Alabuga in China: Results of a Business Mission 16.12.2019
- Alabuga SEZ received 3 nominations in the world ranking 10.10.2019
- Transneft Opens Plant Manufacturing Drag Reducing Agents in Alabuga SEZ 21.09.2019
- «Alabuga» began to prepare engineering personnel for its residents 12.09.2019
Huhtamaki helps fight the Coronavirus pandemic
Huhtamaki helps fight the Coronavirus pandemic by expanding its manufacture of protective face shields (PFS). Ramping up to produce 8 million shields per week in June, for health care workers and other close contact occupations.
Huhtamaki, the global leader in sustainable food on-the-go and food on-the-shelf packaging solutions, is expanding the production of its CE marked high-quality protective face shields for health care workers and others that need increased hygiene and safety protection.
This is on the back of its recent scaling up of the industrial manufacture of protective face shields (PFS) at its folded carton unit in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Initially this was the result of a partnership with a local partner, seeking to alleviate the severe shortage of personal protective equipment for local health care workers fighting COVID-19. Huhtamaki is now leveraging its know-how and planning to ramp up the production of this essential personal protective equipment through production at five additional locations in Europe.
Huhtamaki is committed to protecting people, food and the planet, and is proud to be able to leverage its core capabilities to make a difference where it matters most. To manufacture the PFS’s the company is repurposing its folding carton packaging machinery to precision-cut optically clear and lightweight visors. For extra comfort and to ensure a close fit for increased safety for all head sizes, the visors are then combined with a padded adjustable strap. For hygiene and safety reasons the protective face shields are a single use product. The visor is made of PET that can be recycled and Huhtamaki is looking into making the face shields 100% recyclable in the future. At medical facilities however, once used the face shields are treated as medical waste.
The protective face shields are for frontline and essential workers including care-home workers as well as retail, pharmacy and home care staff. They can also be used for other close contact occupations. The shields are CE marked and conform to PPE Category I in Regulation (EU) 2016/425 on personal protective equipment, providing a high level of protection for the eyes and face from liquid splashes and droplets. The shield design allows for prescription eyewear and medical masks to be comfortably worn underneath.
“In addition to helping front-line health care workers fight the pandemic by doing what we can to ensure they have the protective equipment they need, we also want to help the society to recover. With the protective face shields, we can help people in close contact occupations return to work safely,” says Eric Le Lay, President for Huhtamaki Fiber and Foodservice Europe-Asia-Oceania. “The face shields are also ideal for the foodservice industry, personal care, retail as well as manufacturing operations – anywhere people work in close contact with each other,“ he continues.
In addition to Belfast, Northern Ireland, Huhtamaki will begin to produce the protective face shields in Blackburn, the UK; Gliwice and Czeladz, Poland; Ivanteevka, Russia and Ennis, Ireland operations. The Belfast operation is already producing four million face shields per week for the national healthcare system in the UK. With the additional manufacturing units, the total number of shields Huhtamaki is able to produce per week is expected to increase to approximately eight million shields per week, by end of June. Commercial deliveries outside the UK are expected to start during May.
Huhtamaki is a key global player in sustainable food on-the-go and food on-the-shelf packaging solutions. Our innovative products help billions of consumers around the world make responsible lifestyle choices every day. Today, packaging plays a significant role in food safety and convenience. We are committed to making packaging more circular and we embed sustainability in everything we do. We are focused on achieving carbon neutral production and having all our products designed to be recyclable, compostable or reusable by 2030.
With 100 years of history and a strong Nordic heritage we operate in 35 countries and 81 sites around the world. Our 19,000 employees are working to deliver smart next generation packaging. Our 2019 net sales totaled EUR 3.4 billion. Huhtamaki Group has its head office in Espoo, Finland and the parent company Huhtamäki Oyj is listed on Nasdaq Helsinki Ltd.
Source: Huhtamäki Oyj official press release